HELP!

For some reason, portcullis won't come up this morning.

When I walked into the room, it was completely crashed.  I had nothing
on the console (which I leave logged into root) and the keyboard was
unresponsive.

I reset the machine, but stops after saying:

Partition check:
   hda: hda1 hda2
   hdb: hdb1

Before I put the geometry in for the second drive (I didn't put it in
yesterday, though the drive is installed) it would go a little further
and say something like

VFS ext2 filesystem /root mounted readonly

and then hang there.  I'm not even getting that line anymore, just hangs
after hdb1.

The machine was working like a charm last night.  What can I do?

- Kevin