Re: growing indigo, woad, and flax.

Poster: "H L. Falls" <hlf@holmes.acc.virginia.edu>

> Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <longshipco@hotmail.com>
>
> >     So the question is has anyone out there ever tried growing
> >indigo, woad or flax? I am intrested in hearing: how it went, where
> >you bought your supplies, any challenges you faced ect..
>

> I've never tried growing any of them, but I do know that Woad (from
> which the word Weed comes) will grow darned near anywhere.
>
> BE AWARE!  Woad is a class 1 noxious weed on some states and one is NOT
> allowed to cultivate it or import the seeds.  Check the regulations in
> your state.
>
> [more good advice snipped]

   Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (www.southernexposure.com) in
Earlysville, VA carries woad seed in their "Garden Medicinals and
Culinaries" herb catalog.  In the catalog they state "Cannot ship to
ID, MT, OR, UT, or WY", so I'd guess that those are the states where
it's restricted.  Wouldn't hurt to check if there's any doubt, though...

--Landi