Re: growing indigo, woad, and flax.

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <longshipco@hotmail.com>

>     So the question is has anyone out there ever tried growing
>indigo, woad or flax? I am intrested in hearing: how it went, where
>you bought your supplies, any challenges you faced ect..

I've never tried growing any of them, but I do know that Woad (from
which the word Weed comes) will grow darned near anywhere.

BE AWARE!  Woad is a class 1 noxious weed on some states and one is NOT
allowed to cultivate it or import the seeds.  Check the regulations in
your state.

If you do grow it, please snap off all the seed heads before they can
scatter, (or put cheese cloth bags around them if you want to collect
the seeds) and dig up and destroy the plants before you move.  It truely
is insidious if grown unchecked.

But it makes a great blue!  :)

If you grow indigo, you don't need to grow woad, unless you want to as
an experiment.  The indigoten in indigo is better and more plentiful
than the indigotin in woad.  You will need fewer indigo plants and the
results are very similar.

Regards!

Terry L. Neill                          Anarra Karlsdottir
The Longship Company, Ltd.              Bright Hills, Atlantia
www.wam.umd.edu/~eowyn/Longship/        Østvik Vikings

            It Takes a Viking to Raze a Village

longshipco@hotmail.com