Irish dresses - was Re: (no subject)

Poster: Karen@stierbach.atlantia.sca.org (Larsdatter, Karen )

Meghan wrote:

> Kat.....unfortunately, the "Irish dress" made popular by Chivarly
> Sports is out of period...by about 75 years...It was an "English
> plantation" or colonization style dress, based on what was worn by
> the English nobility in Ireland.  Normally, it would have been worn
> over a chemise and skirt, by the "household staff".  Sorry about
> that!

Really?  Then that would explain why similar dresses were found in
illustrations of Irishwomen ca. 1575 ...

Among the "Celtic, Irish, and Scottish" Clothing and Costume Links on
the Atlantian KMoAS webpages
(http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics/clot.htm), there are a couple of
links which address this style of costume, including:

Celtic Dress of the 16th Century
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/

The Shinrone Gown
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/Shinrone/Shinrone.htm

While the period illos (and the extant example) feature the "Irish
dress" with sleeves (most of which seem to have been sewn into the
arm-holes on the bodice), it's not *too* hard to imagine that some
dresses may have been made without the sleeves.  Another thing that
ladies of this period seem to have done was to line the overskirt in
a wildly contrasting color, and to tuck the tips of the hem into the
belt.

Ever impressed by those who have the amazing power to declare
something to be out of period ;) I remain

Yours in Service to the Dream,

Karen Larsdatter