Fwd: A.Word.A.Day--chivalry

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <longshipco@hotmail.com>

Apologies to anyone already on the AWAD list who will get this twice.

  - Anarra, I love word origins.

>Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 00:04:49 -0400
>From: Wordsmith <wsmith@wordsmith.org>
>To: linguaphile@wordsmith.org
>Subject: A.Word.A.Day--chivalry
>
>chivalry (SHIV-ahl-ree) noun
>
>   1. The medieval system, principles, and customs of knighthood.
>
>   2. The qualities idealized by knighthood, such as bravery,
>      courtesy, honor, and gallantry toward women. A manifestation of
>      any of these qualities.
>
>   3. A group of knights or gallant gentlemen.
>
>[Middle English chivalrie, from Old French chevalerie, from >chevalier,
knight.]

>WORD HISTORY: The Age of Chivalry was also the age of the horse.
Bedecked in elaborate armor and other trappings, horses were certainly
well dressed although they might have wished for lighter loads. That the
horse should be featured so prominently during the Age of Chivalry is
etymologically appropriate, because chivalry goes back to the Latin word
caballus, "horse, especially a riding horse or packhorse." Borrowed from
French, as were so many other important words having to do with medieval
English culture, the English word chivalry is first recorded in works
composed around the beginning of the 14th century and is found in
several senses, including "a body of armored mounted warriors serving a
lord" and "knighthood as a ceremonially conferred rank in the social
system." Our modern sense, "the medieval system of knighthood," could
not exist until the passage of several centuries had allowed the
perspective for such a conceptualization, with this sense being recorded
first in 1765.

http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/address-change.html
wsmith@wordsmith.org.