RE: Question on Name Origin

Poster: E L Wimett <SILVERDRAGON@Charleston.Net>

Actually, the name has an more martial origin.  It is an occupational surname for someone who worked on an mangonel.  (A mangonel was a period siege engine for throwing stones.  It's Old French name was mangonelle.)

Reaney's Dictionary lists a number of period spellings under the heading Mangnall, Mangold and Manknell: Geoffrey Mangwinel from 1204, Stephen Manguinel from 1212, Thomas Manganel from 1327, John Mangel from 1363 and John Mangulle from 1390.

Alisoun
Random Atlantian Herald