Re: Question on Name Origin

Poster: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@erols.com>

At 06:13 PM 6/30/98 EDT, RowenRhys@aol.com wrote:

>Poster: RowenRhys@aol.com
>
>Greetings Good Gentles All!
>
>I have a query into the origins of the last name Mangold....I have
seen it
>multiple times of late (funny how that happens when you have never
noticed
>something before, isn't it?) and wonder if it is in some way related
to the
>Old English concept of wergild meaning "man-price."  If so, then
why?  What
>did a last name of Mangold signify about the bearer?
>

>Graciously,
>
>Rowen ferch Rhys

Easily answered, gracious Lady Rowen.

Reaney and Wilson. _A Dictionary of English Surnames_.  On page 297,
under the heading "Mangnall, Mangold, Mankell"  are several dated &
cited period spelling variants.  Their derivation is "a worker of the
mangonel."   A mangonel is a variety of catapult -- I'm sure others
on this list can expound at length on different sorts of
stone-flingers and just how to tell one from the other.

Lady Alanna Volchevo Lesa
Partan Herald, Barony of Lochmere
Laurel Minion