Fwd: [Northshield]: Jafar's Dukedom

 Forwarded from the Northshield Hall

 Greetings Atlantian friends. Please take a few minutes to read this missive
and comment accordingly.
================

 > > >From the Board, forwarded without comment, via the Grand Council
 list.

 > > >From Andrew Smith, Executive Assistant to the Board of Directors,
 > > To all the members of the Society for Creative Anachronism.
 > >
 > > On December 27 of last year, the Middle Kingdom was struck with
 sorrow
 > > when Scott Hall, also known as Crown Prince Jafar al-Safa, Knight,
 > > Pelican, and Count, succumbed to a staph infection, and passed
 away.
 > > His Lady, Kenna Harve, was subsequently crowned, and is currently
 > > serving the Middle Kingdom as Queen Regnant.
 > >
 > > The Board of Directors recently received a petition, signed by over
 > > 600 members of the Middle Kingdom, requesting that the Midrealm be
 > > allowed to honor Jafar by posthumously awarding him with the title
 and
 > > estate of a Duke in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
 > >
 > > The Board of Directors is completely aware and respectful of the
 > > sentiments surrounding the petition.  Jafar had a sterling
 reputation
 > > throughout the Known World, and his conduct was exemplary for all
 who
 > > would call themselves knight, or gentleman.  The Board recognizes
 the
 > > pain and difficulty Jafar's passing has placed on the subjects of
 the
 > > Middle Kingdom and especially upon his Lady, Queen Kenna.  And the
 > > Board understands that Jafar's people need closure.
 > >
 > > The primary document of the Current Middle Ages is Corpora, which
 > > states the following:
 > > "VI.A.2.a.(5).  The Crown shall acknowledge attainment of Ducal,
 > > County, or Viscounty rank by those who have met the requirements."
 > >
 > > "VII.C.3.  Standard and Alternate Titles.  The Society's standard
 > > titles are defined in Appendix C..."
 > >
 > > "Appendix C.  Duke/Duchess: Persons who have reigned over a
 kingdom 2
 > > or more times.  The title is assumed at the end of the second
 complete
 > > reign."
 > >
 > > As much as the Directors wish to grant the petitioners' request to
 > > honor the memory of such a remarkable man in this fashion, according
 > > to the letter of the law, they cannot. However, the Board is aware
 > > similar tragic circumstances have occurred in the past, and
 recognizes
 > > that unfortunately, more may occur in the future.
 > >
 > > Therefore, the Board of Directors wishes comments from the
 membership
 > > on the following proposed change to Corpora:
 > >
 > > "VI.A.1.c.(2).a.:  Should extreme and extraordinary circumstances,
 > > such as death, prevent a Crown or Coronet from completing the
 > > requirements of Corpora VI.A.1.c.(2), the Board of Directors may,
 upon
 > > petition, and on a case by case basis, waive the requirements in
 > > Corpora VI.A.1.c.(2) to allow the bestowing of a royal peerage or
> [...]

 It is my understanding that (in most instances) the BOD considers
petitions,  but individual letters carry more weight. Consider something along
the following lines:

Board of Directiors
Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
Box 360789
Milpitas, CA 95036-0789

I am writing to express my support of the proposed changes to section
VI of Corpora regarding the awarding of posthumous titles.

Sincerely,

 Or you could send comments to Directors@SCA.org.

-- BEGIN included message