Re: Arms and Awards Murph's Law Revisited

Poster: "Philip S. Dean (Scott)" <NACSPSD@pcanywhere.acs.ncsu.edu>

> Yes You sure can! One minor caveat though, Make sure they are YOUR arms.
> There aint no such beastie as "Family arms". A person or entity is
> awarded or granted arms. They are the sole property of that person. His
> eldest male heir can, in most cases, inherit those arms but the transfer
> must be matriculated (and approved). HE then owns those arms and can
> usually pass them to his eldest male heir, but personal arms are the
> exclusive property of ONE person, NOT a family. If YOU personally are
> the bearer of properly granted and transfered arms you should be able to
> use them in the SCA under the same provision that allows you to use you
> naturally given name. Even if the society were to disapprove the only
> person that could complain under civil law would be You, and you would
> be protected, as is your right, under criminal statutes.
>
> AshaHito

On the other hand, the way it was explained to me was:  Even if you are legally
entitled to display arms modernly, you are NOT your ancestor in the SCA so
your persona would NOT have those arms.

If you do take the name of your ancestor so you can use your modern arms,
you would effectively be saying you ARE your ancestor which violates the "no
real person" rule and potentially the "presuptive" rule as well (if your persona is
your ancestor and your ancestor was, say Archbishop of Ireland, does that
mean that your persona is Archbishop of Ireland?)  I think you can see where I
am going with this....

Just another way to look at it.
-- Manus MacDhai
   Windmasters' Hill Baronial Chronicler