Re: Concerts in Atlantia

Poster: EoganOg@aol.com

Well, it may be a little late for most of you, but if anyone is going to be in
or near the Western NC area this Friday, there is a concert/dinner that
evening (the 11th) that may be of interest.

In Franklin, NC, starting at 6pm, there will be a concert by a newly formed
group called Celtic Authentic.  This group consists of two pipers and a
drummer from Falkirk, Scotland.  To tell you of their talent, I first must
tell you a bit about piping competition.  There are 5 levels of competition
for piping--5 being the lowest, 1 being the highest.  Most of the top rated
American pipe bands are classed as grade 2.  These gentlemen are classed as
"open level," which (to my understanding) means they are above and beyon this
classification system.  They have won the awards.  They have proven
themselves, so to speak, and can pretty much compete anywhere they wish and
most likely win.  How did they get to Franklin, NC?  Well, they just up and
said, "let's see the states!  NC sounds good!"  They got on the internet,
looked up "North Carolina" and "Pipe Band" and came to the web site for our
local band, the Highlands Pipes and Drums.  They called our pipe major, said
who they were, and basically asked, "how would you like us to come teach your
boys how to pipe for a few months, and win you a few awards while we are down
there?"   Their Visa was applied for, and they've been here all summer.  They
are going back in about a month, but before they do they are performing one
last concert here in Franklin.

These guys are amazing!  I have never heard such smooth piping here in
America.  If you can, try to come.  There will also be Highland Dancing by the
Brae Moor School of Highland Dance in Athens, GA, and a dinner catered by
Sugartown Bakery.  Ticket costs are $15, but as of yesterday they were almost
sold out.  This is a small town, and we canonly pack so many people into the
concert hall of the Presbyterian Church!  So, if you want to go, call for
tickets soon.  You can get them from The Scottish Tartans Museum at
(828)524-7472.

Aye,
Eogan