Re: Sumptuary Laws

Poster: rmhowe <magnusm@ncsu.edu>

Kelly Williams wrote:

> Poster: "Kelly Williams" <williamsk@erols.com>
>
> > In addition, there was mention on SCAHRLDS this week that a friend
> > was hassled by an Atlantian seneschale over her new purple garb.  She
> > was told that purple was a restricted color.  I see nothing in
> > kingdom law about it; anybody know where this apparent Urban Legend
> > came from?
>
> I have lived in two other kingdoms and have heard that rumor circulating
> there. I believe it had something to do with how hard it was to obtain the
> purple dye (some sort of sea life).  But I have
> been assured by people who do period dyeing that purple is not that hard a
> color to get with period plant life.  Try telling anyone in Calontir not to
> wear the color and you'll get armed revolt.  I know I lived there for 10
> years.
>
> Morwenn

My understanding from history classes is that this is a Roman Practice
where the color was reserved for the patrician classes and the Senate.
Usually one saw it in a band of purple on the bottoms of the white
togas. I assume it was woven in. And the dye did come from a particular
species of sea shell.

Magnus