Re: Sumptuary Laws

Poster: "Kelly Williams" <williamsk@erols.com>

> In addition, there was mention on SCAHRLDS this week that a friend
> was hassled by an Atlantian seneschale over her new purple garb.  She
> was told that purple was a restricted color.  I see nothing in
> kingdom law about it; anybody know where this apparent Urban Legend
> came from?

I have lived in two other kingdoms and have heard that rumor circulating
there. I believe it had something to do with how hard it was to obtain the
purple dye (some sort of sea life).  But I have
been assured by people who do period dyeing that purple is not that hard a
color to get with period plant life.  Try telling anyone in Calontir not to
wear the color and you'll get armed revolt.  I know I lived there for 10
years.

Morwenn