Re: Sumptuary Laws

Poster: Nancy Davis <nancyad@mindspring.com>

In a message dated 98-10-16 20:07:48 EDT, rjwelenc@erols.com writes:

<<  . . . there was mention on SCAHRLDS this week that a friend was hassled by
an Atlantian seneschale over her new purple garb.  She was told that purple
was a restricted color.  I see nothing in kingdom law about it; anybody know
where this apparent Urban Legend came from? >>

I have waited for someone who knows more than I to repond, but you have
not. So here is my interpretation based on vaguely remembered information
from a class long ago.

In period, purple dye was very rare and costly (from a sea shell???).  So
few could afford it.
Additionally, in some places and times, in period, there were sumptuary
laws restricting who could wear purple. Usually only royalty(?)

So perhaps from "not very many people in period could/would wear purple"
developed the misunderstanding that "you can't wear it."  But no such
restrictions exist in Atlantia. As for other kingdoms, I don't know.

Ysolt, who likes to wear jewel-tones, including purple, and will certainly
never be royal
Nancy A. Davis
nancyad@mindspring.com

Lady Ysolt la Bretonne
Royal Bard, Atlantia
A&S Champion, Barony of  Windmasters' Hill
MoAS, Canton of Buckston-on-Eno
Deputy KMoAS for NC