Re: Tanning hides...

Poster: Jen Thies <jthies@polaris.umuc.edu>

M'lord,

We actually did a hide tanning experiment at Snaulf and Shrew's place a few
years ago with bunnies.  While mine was a total loss, Baron Liam's goat skin
turned out quite nicely.  Shrew had some recipe involving alum, buttermilk,
salt and oats (?I think) to cure the hide after we had used the salt to scrape
off the inside membranes.  It was a great learning experience, but a lot of
work.  If you would like I can give you their contact info privately.  I
imagine Shrew could explain it quite easily over the phone or in person, but
not over email (since she doesn't have such.)  Baron Liam could also do a much
better job explaining the whole process than I could.  If you want some hands
on experience, they would be good gentles to talk to.

In Service,
Genevieve d'Aquitaine
moas@atlantia.sca.org

--

  "You have to leave room in life to dream."
  -Buffy Sainte-Marie