Bored at tourneys (was re:Who is entering Crown Tourney?)

Poster: "Garrett, William" <WGarrett@sierrahealth.com>

Hi Tristan!

Well, I would hope that the excitement of watching the next monarch being
decided would be captivating enough! :o)
However, in period it was quite common to have minstrels and performers
doing their thing while the tournament was going.  It was a matter of pride
for knights and such to display their wealth by having lavish entertainments
going.  Some combatants became "fan favorites" because they would bring
wonderful musicians, and would play for the crowd.

Certain events we do in the SCA do make an attempt to give this sort of
flavor........such as the pas d'armes I'm going to be running for Bright
Hills in October of 99.  (Shameless plug! :o)

I will be sending out copious announcements through this and all kingdoms
about my event when things have coagulated a bit more.

It should be a really big show!

William Ringlancer of Locksley