Re: Children's activities

Poster: Carol_O'Leary@ed.gov (Carol O'Leary)

     Lady Katherine Sharpe, writing of children's activities, said,

     >With a bit a creative thinnking one can give almost any modern
     >activity a period twist.

     While I'll concede Lady Katherine's point, it raises a question in my
     mind -- Why should we want to do that with our children?

     What we do in the SCA as adults is more on the order of using creative
     thinking to give almost any period activity a modern twist (as I see
     it).  I'd think that starting from modern activities and looking for
     ways to give them some period content is a backwards way of looking at
     the problem.

     Our children have lots of opportunities to color and to play modern
     games or with modern toys.  Why shouldn't we look for ways to let them
     do the kinds of things that medieval children their age would have
     done, instead of giving them pictures of knights and castles to color?

     Many of the active games kids play now (like tag and blind man's buff
     and innumerable variations on foot races) are period (or direct
     descendants of period games), and kids left to their own devices to
     invent games (obviously with supervision and occasional guidance) will
     play "let's pretend" games with a medieval cast of characters instead
     of TV-inspired ones.  There are board games that even young children
     can play, as long as they understand the concept of taking turns, and
     it's fun, especially with elementary school-age children, to tell them
     what kids their age would have been expected to do, then let them try
     their hands at carding or spinning on drop spindles or embroidery.
     They can help in the kitchens, and serve tables, and run errands, and
     bear water.  We need to be incorporating our children into our
     activities, not isolating them and looking for "special" activities
     for them that give them the wrong idea about what the SCA is all
     about.

     (Sorry -- I didn't mean to get up on my soapbox.  But I feel pretty
     strongly about this -- Could you tell?)

     Melisande de Belvoir