Re: Where did they run? (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

Tristan de Roquelaure:

> France?
> France!
> *smiles*
> I'd ov' headed for Scotland or Wales meself!

Ghods, why? In the context of the 12th century, they're howling
wildernesses. France has the advantages of decent wine, close
relatives, and lots of unemployed cavalrymen, as opposed to the
comparatively primitive infantry currently available in the
Celtic fringe.

> How did the French react to all these people escaping there?

Most of the Normans had, well, relatives in, well, Normandy. By
and large, all the successful attempts to depose an English king
began in either what we'd understand as part of France or part of
Holland or part of Belgium, all places where the "Norman
invaders" (many of whom were from Flanders) came from and where
they continued to intermarry. Look in Froissart's _Chroniques_ to
see how the men of Hainault reacted to Isabella's plea for help
against Edward II.

In Service,

Dom Pedro de Alcazar
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Storvik Pursuivant
Argent, a tower purpure between 3 bunches of grapes proper

--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com