Re: A Rennaisance Question

Poster: EoganOg@aol.com

In a message dated 11/3/98, 11:39:44 AM, barderic@mailcity.com writes:
<<Why do we seem to stear FAR away form all the renaisance styles for garb and
such?>>

I haven't noticed this....  in fact, if anything I have seen a dispensation
towards the later periods recently. But if you have noticed a lack of later
period styles in your neck of the woods, it maybe due to this:  Of the whole
range of time periods that the SCA covers, what most consider to be "the
Rennasaince" is only 10% to 15% of that time.  Therefore, it only follows that
the majority of personas developed in the SCA (and the majority of costumes
you see at events) will be from the other 90%.

Of course, a lot has to do with what you consider "Rennasiance."  This
cultural phenomenon did not take place everywhere at teh same time, and not
all areas felt it's influences evenly.  Laterm period styles in clothing
likewise differed greatly from region to region.  How many folks out there
know that I usually dress for the period 1570-1600?

Aye,
Eogan Og