Re: Suspension of Certain Combat Arrows

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> >  Well, this is my last comment on this issue here, since, as Sir
>Dafyyd
> >  sagely pointed out earlier, there's no point in arguing about it
>here;
>
> Why not post to a forum for discussion of SCA & Atlantia-related
>issues such
> as the merry rose?  I personally have enjoyed the ideas and points of
>view
> presented, as I have learned quite a bit about combat archery in
>general.

Well for a number of reasons.  Firstly: not everybody is all that
enamored with Combat Archery, and once the basic points have been
presented and it starts to grate on others, it's probably best to take
it into private email. Actually, that goes for most any topic on most
any mailing list, for that matter. :-)

Secondly: I'm not at all sure that the KAM is even *on* the Merry rose,
which means if people are just discussing it here and don't bother to
let Stefan hear their views (and cross-posting to the marshal's list or
cc'ing him on these discussions are *not* the proper way to do it ;->)
then the vast majority of these arguments is being wasted in the
official sense, and only serves to inform the populace.  That's a good
result, mind you, but one that does little to make an argument with
which Stefan may make his decision.

Lastly: after a while, most any debate on any mailing list devolves
into the two sides repeating essentially their same arguments over and
over again, just in more and more excruciating detail as they slice
their points thinner and thinner to refute the quibbling rebuttals of
the opposite side.  This hasn't gotten to that point yet, but is on
it's way... :-)

Julien