heraldric question (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

> Poster: Bryan Griffinsward <keethe@yahoo.com>
>

> Dear gentles,
>
> Can anyone explain to me if gyronny applies to the rules of tincture?
> According to the SCA/Heraldry page, there can be no metals on metals/
> colors on colors, but  if gyronny is the field, could a color be put
> on top of a metal/color gyronny? provided the colors are different of
> course...

A mixed color/metal field is a neutral field. As long as the
charge isn't of either the field's tinctures, it can be either a
metal or a color. However, a somewhat more period use of gyronny
was to display a group of small charges on one set of the gyrons.
For example: Gyronny Or and Purpure, four apples proper (ie,
gules, slipped and leaved vert). The apples would be placed on
each of the Or gyrons.

In Service,

Dom Pedro de Alcazar
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Storvik Pursuivant
Argent, a tower purpure between 3 bunches of grapes proper
--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com