re: Plastic, and other (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

> Poster: "David Ritterskamp" <jonnyb70@hotmail.com>

<much cut>

> >So the Art of SCA Combat is evolving.  What's so surprising about that?
> I've been saying it for a long time:  this game isn't perfect.  But
> unless enough people start something else that has all of its
> advantages, it's the best game in town.  I personally would DEARLY love
> to see a subculture develop in the SCA centered around combat as
> authentically done as possible, with shields that break when you hit
> them with a heavy object, maces that swing like they have a significant
> weight on the end of them, weapons with a heavy object attached to one
> end of a chain and a handle on the other, rules that allow bigger people
> to utilize their weight, and just TONS of other stuff.

It wouldn't be that hard to develop shields that broke apart in
that way. Supposedly, in the sixteenth century, there were such
shields developed for tournaments in the Holy Roman Empire (see
Clepham's The Medieval Tournament, from Dover Press). In so
doing, you would only be recreating a part of period tournament
practice. I can provide you with more information about late
period tournaments, if you like.

In Service,

Dom Pedro de Alcazar
Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
Storvik Pursuivant
Argent, a tower purpure between 3 bunches of grapes proper

--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com