Re: 3 Greatest Knights in Xendom

Poster: SheehanTA@aol.com

In a message dated 11/19/98 8:46:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, EoganOg@aol.com
writes:

<< I was reading a book on King Robert the Bruce and the author made a passing
 reference to King Robert as being called one of the three greatest knights in
 Christendom.  This got me wondering.....  who were the other two?  I figure
 one of them to be William Marshall, but are there any guesses as to the
third?

If one is looking at the Medieval "Nine Worthies," the three exemplars of
Christian knighthood were Charlemagne, Arthur, and Baldwin (King of
Jerusalem).  At various times, Medieval authors would vary the list to include
a personal favorite (on someone with whom they were currying favor).  In which
case, Baldwin usually got dropped.

Mistress Deirdre O'Siodhachain
(Terry Sheehan)

p.s. A bonus question:  who were the remaining six worthies?

D.