Re: Curved plywood for shields.

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Steve Schell wrote:

> Now for the construction!  I'm sure I can find flat plywood but as some
> have suggested, curved shields balance better.
> Anyone have a notion of where to purchase curved plywood or how to get
> flat plywood to conform to such a shape?

Take two layers of 3/8" plywood.  Slap a wad of good wood-glue on one side
of one layer (spread it around with a cheap paintbrush so it covers the
whole side).  Slap the two pieces together.  Bend the result over a curved
form and clamp it down.  Let the glue dry.  When completely dry (24 hours
for most wood glue) take it out of the form and cut it to shape.

The curved form is the hard part, but you can often borrow that from some
other fighter in your area.  Ask around.  Another technique involves rigid
straps, a couple of two-by-fours, and a car jack, but that is hard to
describe in text.

Dafydd