Re: Other 12th night events

Poster: Heather Swann <heather@pop.net>

> Michael Limner wrote:
>
> >>I have no idea, but it is probably related to the same mental state thats
> >>causes people to say 'feastocrat' instead of 'cook'.
>
> Nah, it's just in-group slang.  All the best subcultures have it.  It's one
> of the primary ways of defining "us" vs. "them" (and it includes, as a
> standard feature, more or less derogatory terms for the great group of
> "thems" out there.  That's as in "us" and "the mundanes," folks.)
>
> Has there ever been a subculture without its own jargon?  Dunno.  But the
> jargon serves its purpose regardless of whether or to what degree it
> correlates with "period" terminology.
>
> --Caitlin Cheannlaidir Main Entry: mun·dane

> Pronunciation: "m&n-'dAn, 'm&n-"
> Function: adjective
> Etymology: Middle English mondeyne, from Middle French mondain, from Late
> Latin mundanus, from Latin mundus world
> Date: 15th century
> 1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of the world
> 2 : characterized by the practical, transitory, and ordinary : COMMONPLACE
> <the mundane concerns of day-to-day life>
> synonym see EARTHLY

I'd disagree with 'mundane' being derogatory.  I never thought of it that way
until someone else said they thought it was.  I always thought of it as being a
reference to my modern life which I thought of as mundane, ordinary, practical.
I thought of modern clothes as 'mundanes', being plainer, more practical than my
SCA garb, but I thought of people as mundanes just in the sense that they wore
modern practical clothes and weren't participating in our game.
In other words, the way people are daily.

I've never used feast-o-crat, though.  'Head cook' is easier to say, and puts
the idea forth quickly.  Besides, you could always tell people to stay out of
your kitchen or you'd cook their head!  ; )

Miri