Plague and the Migration Age

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <t_neill@hotmail.com>

Lorenzo <detoma@erols.com> writes:
>In Constantinople...the plague was at its most virulent from autumn 541
until spring 542. ... until autumn 544.

>...ensuring that subsequent epidemics of the pandemics would recur in
10-to-24-year cycles for the next 200 years. Plague returned from 558 to
561, again beginning in Egypt, ... It came again from 580 to 582, and
from 588 to 591,...
>The sixth plague epidemic occurred from 599 through 600. (and all those
other dates up to 762)

Isn't that the time of the fall of the Roman Empire and the Migration
Age in Europe?  Someone was asking me about what caused the fall of the
Roman Empire and I thought it was a combination of internal corruption,
wasted spending and pressure from the Vandals, Visigoths, etc.  The fact
of widespread disease did not occur to me.

WAS this one of the causes of the fall of the Roman Empire?  And did the
decimation (no, that's too mild a word) the ... quadmation ?? of the
population leave a large population vaccume for the Migrators of the
Migration Age to Migrate into?

Regards!

  - Anarra