Recommended reading? (fwd)

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

> Poster: Bob & Diana Cosby <cosby@erols.com>
>
>     I have a question please.  I'm trying to research Scottish women in
> England and Southern Scotland during the 1290's.  Is "Women in the
> Middle Ages by Frances Gies, Joseph Gies" going to offer me good insight
> for this era?  I'm also looking for a book which breaks down the
> Scottish during this era and their rank structure.  Any recommendations
> would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, what might be better is Duby's The Knight, The Lady and
the Priest. It's more on the French situation, but France was the
cultural Mecca for the gentry of England and Lowland Scotland,
and the law schools of Montpellier and Paris were highly
respected for their wisdom across Europe.

Before anyone notes that England's laws are not those of the rest
of Europe, remember that marriage was not something governed by
any kingdom's laws, but by the law of the Church, which was, for
all practical purposes, universal.

Pedro

--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html