[fwd] EK: EKAnn: 21st Annual Black Rose Ball

Poster: James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain <alasdair.maciain@snet.net>

Hullo, all -

I just wanted to pass along the broadside for this year's installment of
the best event I've ever attended. 8)  I just checked the web site - their
dance list isn't up yet, but they promise it will be by the 29th.

Alasdair mac Iain

>Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:44:10 -0700 (MST)
>From: Sean Rabbitt - Cadel the Lion <bigsimba@ids.net>
>To: sca-east@indra.com
>Subject: EK: EKAnn: 21st Annual Black Rose Ball
>
>-Poster: Sean Rabbitt - Cadel the Lion <bigsimba@ids.net>
>
>-Poster: Sean Rabbitt - Cadel the Lion <bigsimba@ids.net>
>  This is an SCA-East-Announce message:
>
>Please Note:  The SCA East Web Page incorrectly noted the wrong barony
>for the Black Rose Ball for a short period of time.  As always, the
>Black Rose Ball is held in the Barony of the Bridge, not the Barony of
>the Blak Rose.
>
>Dancemasters and Dancemistresses!  Would you care to assist in teaching
>dances during the day?  Please contact the autocrat, Ingram (Sean
>Rabbitt, 401-788-0817 before 10PM, bigsimba@ids.net) as soon as
>possible!
>
>Please spread the word!
>
>An updated list of dances will soon be posted at
>http://users.ids.net/~bigsimba
>

>The 21st Annual Black Rose Ball
>Barony of the Bridge (Kingston, RI)
>
>Yea, though the weather outside has become cold and dreary, the Barony
>of the Bridge in cooperation with the Borough of Ramskeep, invite all
>good gentles to come warm our dance halls with love.  Saturday, February
>13, 1999, join us at the University of Rhode Island Memorial Union, 50
>Lower College Road, in beautiful Kingston, RI for a day of dancing and
>poetry of sweetest adoration at the 21st annual Black Rose Ball.
>
>This year, along with our usual dancing and revelry, we invite you to
>participate in two contests we hope to make a tradition.  First, express
>your love and devotion to another with a sonnet.  (Official rules: The
>poem must follow standard sonnet form, and the reading may not exceed
>two minutes in length as to be judged by a very large man with a sword
>in hand.)  Our second contest is for the most outrageous and imaginative
>cloven fruit.  (Official rules: Yes, it really must be a fruit.)
>
>Also, we will be holding a silent auction to benefit the URI student
>group.  All proceeds from the auction will go towards a future
>educational event to benefit the children of South County.  If you would
>like to donate an item for the silent auction, please contact Ingram
>(contact information below).
>
>The site opens at 11 AM and dance practice will begin at noontime.  The
>site closes at 10 PM.  As always, we greatly appreciate all those
>gentles who stay to help clean up or show up early to help set up.
>
>The site fee is $4.  Admission is free with a valid student
>identification card for any university, college, high school, or other
>place of higher learning or a bribe for the autocrat.  Also, faculty,
>staff, and administrators of any educational institution may attend for
>free.  Please make checks payable to SCA Inc. - Barony of the Bridge.
>No reservations are needed.  Our local restaurants will be providing a
> [...]

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable