Re: Mercs for Hire!

Poster: AEdric the Grene <AEdric@mindspring.com>

At 01:01 PM 2/10/99 -0500, Peter Adams wrote:

>Poster: Peter Adams <redduke@earthlink.net>
>
>> Actually, I tend to think of Atlantia as being a whole mercenary Kingdom
>> when it comes to Pennsic.  Not that this is some horrible thing, mind you.
>
>Um in my view, Atlantia stands in a spot far closer to Burgundy in the
>hundred years war, a political entity that was not client to either
>principle side that fought for its own advantage on whichever side was
>not trying to conquer it.  Mere semantics?  You be the judge, but there
>are many, myself included, for whom that is an important distinction.

Hmm, I'd already responded to this privately since I hadn't realised the
message went to the list as well.  Oh, well.  Anyway, I've changed my mind
since I made that statement.  Considering the way we play the game in the
SCA, I can't really see how we can be a Mercenary Kingdom (or how any other
one can be, either) unless a Crown is willing to be "bought", something
that is below the Honour and Chivalry of any King.  Thus, it can't be.

So, why did I say it could be in the first place?  By missing the point on
the presents a Kingdom gives its Allies.  Rather than payment, they are
part of Diplomacy, a Period tradition that continues even into modern
diplomacy.  I should have known this, of course, but I make mistakes and
forget.  OK, it's not a good excuse but it's the real reason.  So live with
it.  ;-)

Anyway, I hope that clarifies my thinking on the whole issue.  Part of the
fun of a mailing list is actually getting to see someone rethink their
position and change their mind every once in a while rather than just
arguing back and forth, entrenched in some firm position, causing more heat
than light.  That sort of thing, only happens on other lists, where they
are not the Good Gentles like we have here who know that differing ideas
don't mean war.  And that a challenge to one's thinking is not a challenge
to argue but to think and consider one's thoughts in perhaps a new light.

AEdric the Grene
House Howling Mouse

Not Known For His Subtleness