Squire Training

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Garrett, William wrote:

> > > Sticking a stick into your bike spokes?  Why?
> >
> > It's a training technique.  I'm strongly considering requiring it of all
> > my squires.
> >
> > Dafydd
> >
> 	[Garrett, William]  Though not one of your squires, Your Excellency,
> I have been the recipient of such training.  My older brother threw a
> Louisville Slugger at my bike spokes.  I don't know if I completed the
> training correctly, as no bones were broken, but I suffered a horrendous
> case of road rash.....
> 	does that count?  Or should I have completed the training
> unassisted?

This is personality training, not crash training.  You keep doing it until
your _personality_fault_ is corrected, not until you learn how to crash
well.  So the question is not "did you crash", but the more important one:
"what did you learn?"  Wrong answers to this koan require a repetition of
the drill.

With me, once was clearly enough.  With you, or with Michael, it seems
that multiple repetitions will be required.

Dafydd
Zen Master of Bicycle Crashes