More SCA Stories

Poster: "S. C. Burke" <sburke@exis.net>

There are perhaps some other long term Black Diamond types that can fill in
the
rest of the details, but one of the funniest tales I recall is the cross
country
journey of Dirik and Otto, both now Knights and Court Barons....

If memory serves, the two lads were traveling from Black Diamond to a
wedding,
possibly in conjunction with a tournament.  Bear in mind that early BD was
almost
exclusively academic... But Otto had just finished a stressful project, and
now
was traveling long distance on minimal sleep.  Those that know him, will
recall
the shaggy RED hair, and the nervous twitch that many of us get with sleep
deprivation and caffiene.  The old battle boat they were driving had
powdered
paint pigments in the trunk.

Well, lo and behold, Bubba the Trooper pulls over the car, somehow ends up
searching it. Dirik is weaving on his feet, with the thousand yard stare,
and Otto
can't stand still, but at the same time can't coherently form a sentence.

By and large, the trooper gets in the trunk.  Bags and bags and barrels of
fine powder.
Roll and roll of duct tape. (Commonly used to disguise contraband on the
undercarriage
of cars, as a little road grime makes it invisible....)

The question: "What are yall boys doin with this duck tape?"

The answer: " Uh, we wrap swords with it....."    Um, maybe not....
                       "Uh, we wrap stuff...."

After all his suspicions, the only thing he had was possession of duct
tape.

Hmm, I guess its really funnier if you know the people involved.  Maybe
Caroline or
Wynn can fill in the details, they were there.....

Erlich