RE: in character

Poster: "Juliet Carnell" <juliet.carnell@andusa.com>

> Poster: "scarlett goode" <elfgoode@netunlimited.net>
>
> 	I think this is a snow ball effect.  The more people who "forget" about
> staying in character along the way, the less likely the new people are to
> stay in character and choose a name.

On this point I tend to agree. I am a newcomer to both my Barony and the SCA
in general. I come from a role playing game background and rather expected
more participation "in character" than I have seen so far. My own attempts
at courtly manner were met with lukewarm responses at a recent (my first)
event.

On choosing a name, I have received little support in this and even out
right discouragement from the very officers I believed charged with
encouraging it. Rather than allowing me to exercise creativity in creating a
name and persona, so far all my efforts have been disparaged on the grounds
that "that will never be approved". I did my homework and what I came up
with is well within the SCA guidelines for constructed names, so I'm
planning to submit it anyway. It's the discouraging attitude and down right
rudeness from the local and national Heralds that both surprises and
disheartens me.

I'm much too fond of the people I've met so far to consider quitting, but
I'm hoping that somewhere along the line I'll find the pockets of
creativity, chivalry, and fun that I came to the SCA looking for.

Juliet
someday, hopeful, Glainfach ferch y Saethydd, but probably not :-(