Re: Sign language in the SCA

Poster: SCAVard@aol.com

Scriptsit Anarra:

> The most recent issue of Tournaments Illuminated has a nice article on
> SCA-sign.  There is contact information for the author, too.
>
> If you are not a paid member (or weren't this winter), ask someone in
> your local group if you can borrow their Winter 98 TI and take a look at
> the article.

While the TI article in question was a valuable piece of work for those
interested in the history of period sign languages, I do not believe it will
answer the Lady's original question.  She is looking for a "dictionary" (for
lack of a better word) of SCA signs to help her interpret such things as
courts for her daughter.

She is currently fingerspelling such things as "Atlantia", "Duchess" and
(gulp!) "Spiaggia Levantina" because she does not have a vocabulary of SCA-
specific signs to help her out.  I have contacted her privately, for I was
given such a dictionary and am willing to share it with her and offer to teach
her what SCA signs I do know.  (Of course, at the moment I cannot lay my hands
on my copy, so I have asked my friend Arianwen if she can make another for me,
but that's *my* problem).

The TI article was a great article, don't misunderstand me, but I do not
believe it will  help the Lady and her daughter very much, at least not from a
practical standpoint.

>From the land that the Acorn forgot,
// Vard //

Lord Edvard Gayer, Chronicler