Re: in character

Poster: kmartins@email.unc.edu (Kerri Martinsen)

One of the problems of staying in character that has been a problem for me
since moving to Atlantia is the "themed events".  We are asked to make new
garb in the period of the event or just dress like we are of that period
even if it has nothing to do with my persona.

Not saying that these events should stop, mind you, but I think part of the
fun of the SCA is seeing everyone in their own period.  We begin to
recognize people by their garb, at least initally, and for newbie it is
difficult to pin a person down when they are always changing "periods".
The thinking being, "Why should I pick a character and period and act like
I am in it if every event I should act like I am from the period of the
event?"

I am personally a 13th century German Lady.  I have hosted a German event
in the Middle, with a German Feast, but no one was asked to dress German.
I think that retaining your own persona and seeing how that persona would
react to different situations is part of the most interesting aspects of
the SCA.

Comments?

Lady Hrosvitha die Liedweberin
(call me Vitha)