OFF TOPIC--Memories of Carlos Hathcock

Poster: Quentin Finney <finneygq@yahoo.com>

I am truly saddened to hear that Carlos Hathcock has passed away -- he
was one of the very few living Marine legends.  I had the opportunity
to sit with him in 1995 at a mess night in Quantico.  Although
confined to a wheelchair (camouflaged, no less!) and harassed by
difficulty in speaking, his mind was sharp and clear, and the
experience of being in the presence of a true hero was nonetheless awe
inspiring.

One note of correction in the forwarded news article -- Carlos
Hathcock was a Gunnery Sergeant, which was the truly unique and
touching aspect of his son's promotion ceremony wherein they became
equal in rank.  I am happy that he was personally able to pass his own
chevrons on to his son before leaving us...