Re: Cap of maintenance? (was Pelican Cloaks)

Poster: Michael Houghton <herveus@Radix.Net>

Howdy!

Ysolt inquired:

> Herveus wrote:
>
> >Another piece of regalia you might see is a cap of maintenance. Tres spiff
> >and period, too.
>
> And what, pray tell, is that?

A "cap of maintenance" is a scarlet cap with ermine lining. It is worn
with the edge turned up so you can see the ermine. The brim is relatively
high in the front, tapering to a point at the back on each side,
reminiscent of a "robin hood" hat.

Note also that this is reserved as regalia to Pelicans. Note also that,
in period, a cap of maintenance was officially reserved to certain high
nobles. For example, at one point in England (in the 1300's I think), the
privilege of wearing one was extended to dukes, having previously been
limited to princes (if I recall the post on SCAHRLDS correctly).

yours,
Herveus
--
Michael and MJ Houghton   | Herveus d'Ormonde and Megan O'Donnelly
herveus@radix.net         | White Wolf and the Phoenix