Southern Maryland Celtic Festival

Poster: SCAVard@aol.com

In keeping with the theme of stuff that is of interest to SCA folks without
actually being an SCA event, here's an announcement about the upcoming
Southern Maryland Celtic Festival.  No, I don't work for these guys.  I went
last year, and it was tres cool:

The 21st Annual Southern Maryland Celtic Festival & Highland Gathering (phew,
lots o' letters!) is coming up on Saturday, April 24th.  As in previous years,
it will be at Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum, St. Leonard, Maryland,
right smack-dab in the middle of Dun Carraig's Calvert County.

General Admision is $10, children 12 and under are free with a paying adult.

>From the flier:  "This gathering highlights common cultural threads interwoven
in the fabric that is the Celtic peoples.  It features music, dance and
heritage of the Welsh, Irish, Scots, Cornish, Breton, Manx and English.
Fiddlers, pipers, harpers and other musicians combine with storytellers,
historical reenactors, athletes and Celtic vendors to provide a day of
education and fun for the entire family. Try new foods and crafts (i.e., watch
Magnus buy some Haggis!), discover the enchanting beauty of Celtic art and
music (i.e., come listen to us mimic the sound of strangled cats with our
bagpipes!), and enjoy the spectacle of Scottish Athletics (I'm not touching
that one!)  Step back in time to learn about a people who once inhabited areas
from Ireland to Turkey.  Clans and other organizations offer history,
genealogy, and hospitality throughout the day."

Featuring: Noon parade of clans and societies, Bagpipe competitions:
individual and bands, Individual highland drum competition, Highland dance
competition, Southern Maryland Scottish fiddling championship, Highland
athletics, including: caber, clachnert, sheaf toss and weight toss, Childrens
games and face painting, Continuous Celtic performances (all day on three
covered stages), Living history, Spinning and weaving demonstration,
Storytelling throughout the day, Clan challenges, Kilted mile run and Celtic 2
mile run, Celtic and regional food, Celtic market place, Celtic craft
demonstrations, Clans and societies, Harp workshop.

10 am to 6 pm, rain or shine, Saturday April 24, 1999.  $10 at the door.

Directions:  Take your best route to Maryland Route 2/4 in Calvert County.  If
heading south from Prince Frederick, turn west on Rt 264 (Broomes Island Road)
then South on Rt 265 (Mackall Road).  Park is on the right.  If heading north
from Solomons, turn left (west) onto Parran Road (south of St. Leonard), then
left on Rt 265 (Mackall Road).  Park is on the right.  [Follow the Red Lion
signs.]

Personal observation:  I've been to this, it's great, even if a little pricey.
I found that really spiff burgundy celtic cloth that I use as a tablecloth
here last year.  The merchants aren't used to haggling, so plan to either pay
what they're asking for their wares, or wait till they start to pack up and
make your move then.  The dancing and piping is really great, and if you go
with a group, you can really enjoy yourself.  the park is HUGE (500+ acres).

In service,
// Vard //

Lord Edvard Gayer, Chronicler
Barony of Dun Carraig, Atlantia