At Her Majesty's Request...

Poster: "Beverly Robinson-Curry" <corvus2@worldnet.att.net>

Gentle Cousins,

In speaking with our gracious Queen yesterday, I learned that Their
Majesties have not received many letters of recommendation yet (in fact,
the number is woefully low).  As we are a month into Their term, Her
Majesty asked me to encourage people to write.  So, I am writing this to
remind people that everyone can write recommendation letters and how
important they are.  Their Majesties are unable to be everywhere and see
everything Atlantia is doing.  It is the responsibility of all of us to be
Their eyes and ears and to advise them when members of the populace are due
for recognition.  Her Majesty does prefer letters sent by postal mail
rather than email.

In having a similar discussion on the Sacred Stone list this morning, I
posted the following outline on writing a recommendation letter and would
share it with this list as well:

The first place to start is to verify what he/she already has.  The online
Order of Precedence (www.atlantia.sca.org) is a good place to start.  This
will help you know whether or not this person has that award you think
they deserve.

THEN, you write a letter of recommendation to the Crown about this worthy
gentle.  You list his/her many accomplishments and the reasons you feel
he/she
should be recognized.

Now, here comes the interesting part.  You can either ask the Crown to
"recognize this worthy gentle as You deem fit", leaving the decision up to
them how he/she should be rewarded, or else, you may recommend a specific
award/order, such as the Order of the Golden Dolphin.  In either case, the
decision is always the Crown's and we should try not to become discouraged
if our nominees are not recognized immediately or in the way we suggest.
The Crown may have something more appropriate or even better in mind.

Please include the nominee's modern name and SCA group as well as a list
(if you know) of possible events he/she might attend in the near future.
This goes a long way in assisting the Crown.

Happy writing!

Rhiannon, Triton