about that "Pope" question a while ago

Poster: "Rowanwald Central" <rownwald@gte.net>

I was reading a new (to me) book and found a quote that I thought I'd
share, as it answered a question that was left "hanging" in our previous
discussion.

" In the West the first among bishops was the
bishop of Rome. He did not become pope until
the fifth century; previously all bishops were
called 'papa'. The pre-eminence of Rome was
due in part to the prestige of the city, in part
to Christ's pledge of primacy to Saint Peter,
in part to the vigor of certain great bishops of
Rome, such as Gregory the Great (590-604),
who defended the city against the barbarians,
established social services, promoted missionary
work, and wrote much and well."
    - Morris Bishop, "the Middle Ages"