Menu from Storvik Baronial Championships/Sour Cherry Soup Recipe

Poster: Ric & Joanne Loll <rics_am_cafe@geocities.com>

Greetings to all in the tavern.  Barkeep, I'd like a cherry Lambic...

	I had the rare pleasure to be head cook of my first feast a few weeks ago.
 Everything seemed to go well, even if some strange things did happen (the
site destroyed the fire pits over the winter, and we bought grills at the
last minute).
	I had the best kitchen crew in the Known or Unknowing World - Clan
Sharptooth from House Drunken Badger.  Caitlin, MacGregor, Micheala,
Rhyannon and Mims, (along with my lovely wife) kept everything running
smoothly, though they did have to occasionally remind me that I was in
charge.
	I was pleased that my three criteria were all met:  1) Everyone got enough
to eat; 2) The hot food was served hot, the cold food was serve cold; 3) No
one was poisoned unintentionally.  To anyone who has thought of doing the
Head Cook thing, I couldn't encourage you enough - it's an incredible
amount of work, and the rewards are proportionally large.
	A number of gentles inquired about the menu and recipes.  The menu was:

Remove One
Breads & Butters (herb and honey)
Fresh spreadable cheese (made on site that afternoon from the recipes
	from New England Cheesemaking Supply Company (413) 628-3808)
	(was scheduled as mozzarella, but didn't set up correctly, still
	tasty as smooth ricotta)
Sour Cherry Soup (from the Time Life "Foods of the World" series, the
	_Recipes: The cooking of Vienna's Empire_ volume, page 4 - recipe
	follows the menu)

Remove Two
Grilled Beef
Funges (a leek and mushroom dish from Cariadoc's Miscellany)
Frumente (a barley dish from Cariadoc's Miscellany)

Remove Three
Chicken with Onion Sauce (a chicken stew from Hieatt,
Constance and Sharon Butler, _Pleyn Delit: Medieval
Cookery for Modern Cooks_)
Fresh Broccoli with Savory Cheese Sauce (From Cariadoc's
Miscellany, with the butter reduced ¼ and the cheese increased
By 1/3)
Carrots in Cider

Dessert
Pears in Black Wine Sauce (_Pleyn Delit: Medieval Cookery for
Modern Cooks_)
Pound Cake (Giant Grocery Store)

Cold Sour Cherry Soup
Recipes: The Cooking of Vienna's Empire

3 c	Cold water
1 c	Sugar
1	Cinnamon stick
4 c	Pitted sour cherries or drained canned sour cherries
1 Tbs	Arrowroot
¼ c	Heavy cream, chilled
¾ c	Dry red wine, chilled

1. In a 2-qt saucepan, combine the water, sugar and cinnamon stick.  Bring
to a boil and add the cherries.  Partially cover and simmer over low heat
for 35 to 40 minutes if the cherries are fresh or 10 minutes if they are
canned.  Remove the Cinnamon stick.
2. Mix the Arrowroot and 2 tablespoons of cold water into a paste, then
beat into the cherry soup.
3. Stirring constantly, bring the soup almost to a boil.  Reduce the heat
and simmer about 2 minutes, or until clear and slightly thickened.
4. Pour into a shallow glass or stainless-steel bowl, and refrigerate until
chilled.  Before serving - preferably in soup bowls that have been
pre-chilled - stir in the cream and wine.

To those not interested in cooking, I apologize for the wasted bandwidth.

Yours in Service
Lord Magnus McKinley
Sometime Head Cook
Seneschal of Storvik by the Grace of their Majesties and Her Excellency

Ric & Joanne Loll
"Just a trip down the alternate rabbit hole"...