From: Brian Songy <bxs3829@usl.edu>
To: "'sca-arts@raven.cc.ukans.edu'" <sca-arts@raven.cc.ukans.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 11:42:27 -0500
Subject: Making Sundials

On Thursday, 27 May, 1999 10:56, Hank Harwell [SMTP:cleireac@juno.com]
wrote:
> About a year ago I was leafing through a book merchant's wares and came
> across a book on constructing sundials.  In this book, the author
showed
> a picture of a handheld sundial purportedly found in the cloisters of
> Westminster Abbey.  It was long and narrow, with holes drilled in the
> surface along two parallel lines.  In these holes, one would stick pins
> to mark the month/day, and the sun's shadow would fall across other
holes
> marking the time.  has anyone else seen this, and could possibly point
me
> to a much better description, where I might possibly be able to
construct
> one?
>
> Brother Cleireac of Inisliath

Brother Cleireac - - -

I have a copy of a book very much like the one you describe (perhaps the
same one), but it is still packed after a recent move.  I'll see if I can
dig it out tonight.

IIRC, the book provides instructions for producing the sundial you
describe.  If memory serves, it operates like this:

<all of the following is from memory, and therefore, may contain errors>
The sundial is a small wood tablet, long and narrow, as you describe.  To
use it, It is laid upon a flat, horizontal surface, with the long axis
oriented East-West. The sundial itself can be used to determine this
orientation.  A pin is stuck into one of a series of holes, to serve as
the gnomon (?spelling), that is, the portion of the sundial that casts
the shadow.  The proper hole was selected based upon the current date and
location - the different holes are used to correct for the seasonal
change in the tilt of the Earth in respect to the Sun, changes in
Latitude, and/or the seasonal differences between Solar and other time
keeping standards (e.g. Sidereal).  Moving the pin along the long axis
(i.e.. East-West) adds or subtracts a certain amount from the time shown.
 Moving the pin along the short axis (i.e. North-South) roughly adjusts
the "speed" of the clock, that is, lengthen or shortens the day.  The
tablet can be marked in a variety of ways (regular linear markings,
logarithmically spaced markings for equal length hours, sets of parabolic
curves so that sunrise and sunset fell on a certain hour everyday, etc,.)
The actual markings were often determined empirically, for example, the
sundial was set up and when the sun was at it's highest point in the sky,
wherever the tip of the shadow fell was marked as noon.  Sunrise, sunset
and the various hours of the day could also be derived empirically, or by
subdividing the tablet (e.g. dividing the portion between one end of the
tablet and noon into equal portions).  The holes could also be determined
empirically.  If a sundial worked in one location, but was off in
another, a new hole could be drilled to correct the time displayed.

Another type of small wooden tablet was also produced.  It hung
vertically from a string with the pin extending vertically.  My
recollection on that type is hazier.

I've made several sundials, and have enjoyed the process.  If nothing
else, I recommend you to make a simple sundial by mounting a vertical pin
into a board.  Start deriving your markings empirically, and as time goes
by you can start adding more sophisticated embellishments to your sundial
(i.e. corrections for
date, latitude, etc.).The process is a great learning experience.

If I find the book, I will post the ISBN, etc. tomorrow.

I hope that helps.  If there is anything else I can assist with, please
do not hesitate to ask.

- - -	Matheus de Troyes  (mka Brian Songy)
	Trollfen, in Meridies
++++++
He later followed up on a question I asked as a result of his post...