Today in Medieval History

Poster: Mark Mettler <mettler@bulloch.net>

Gryffri sends greetings the day, June 7

In 0555 Death of Pope Vigilius
In 0604 Death of St. Augustine
In 1002 Henry II elected King of Germany
In 1099 First Crusade reaches the walls of Jerusalem
In 1159 Death of St. Robert of Newminister
In 1191 Richard the Lionhearted lands in Palestine
In 1329 Death of Robert I "the Bruce," King of Scotland, of leprosy
In 1394 Death of Anne of Bohemia, Queen to Richard II of England
In 1413 King Ladislaw of Naples occupies Rome
In 1494 Treaty of Tordesillas: the Pope divides the New World between
Spain and Portugal
In 1498 Columbus leaves on his third voyage
In 1508 Capitulation of Pisa to Florence
In 1520 "Field of the Cloth of Gold"
In 1527 Pope Clement VII surrenders to emperor Charles V's armies
In 1537 Death of Madeline of France, wife of King James of Scotland
In 1546 Peace of Ardres with Scotland/Ireland
In 1545 Charles V allies with Pope Paul III
In 1557 England declares war on France
In 1566 Sir Thomas Gresham lays the foundation stone of the Royal
Exchange
In 1576 Frobisher sails in search of the Northwest Passage
In 1586 Francis Drake burns St. Augustine, Florida
In 1601 Louis Gunther of Nassau weds countess Anna Margaretha of
Manderscheid
In 1610 Jamestown Colony almost abandoned
In 1614 2nd parliament of King James I, dissolves passing no legislation

In 1628 Charles I of England assents to Parliament's Petition of Rights
In 1631 Death of Mumtaz Mahal, wife of Shah Jahan of India. The Taj
Mahal is her tomb

--
Gryffri de Newmarch
Chronicler of Forth Castle - http://www2.gasou.edu/SCA/chronicler

"il est bon de frotter et limer notre cervelle contre celle d'autrui."
It is good to rub and polish our mind against those of others.