RE: babies at Pennsic

Poster: Dominica Harlan <DHarlan@RodgersBuilders.com>

April does have a point, though it is nice to hear about all the prepared
parents and well-behaved children. I've met them and enjoyed their company
at war, as I love kids. However, I've also seen noise curfews and behavior
restrictions for even a camp's neighbors b/c of someone's kid. As an adult
who pays a lot of money and puts a lot of effort into going to Pennsic,
especially, I resent my fun being curtailed (or I have to walk across half
the war to have it) b/c of someone else's child. I don't have any yet b/c I
don't want the responsibility/restriction, and I'm not at a war to meet
someone else's child's needs. Nor are all the other people who go w/o kids.
So if you do take a baby or child, be prepared not only for the child's
comfort, but also be prepared to have other adults around your kid having
adult fun -- bunny fur, cussing, loud late parties and all. I believe that
families have a place in the SCA, but parents need to be prepared for the
tremendous effort necessary to take care of their kids in an adult
environment.

Kilmeny