RE: babies at Pennsic

Poster: Dominica Harlan <DHarlan@RodgersBuilders.com>

Let me be the first to flame you on this one.  There are restrictions
at Pennsic about loud, late parties that are posted repeatedly as one
of the rules of the site, not to mention the fact that loud, late
parties beyond some locally accepted norm, are against the law almost
everywhere.  The fact that someone actually has the unmitigated gall to
try to enforce these regulations does not make THEM the problem.
[snip of useful reference to pennsic handbook and www.pennsic.org]
Magdalena de Hazebrouck
who never goes to the war without ear plugs!

Lady Magdalena,

I follow both the Pennsic rules and the rules of common courtesy when it
comes to nights and noise, or days and noise for that matter. I don't bang
stuff near a napping kid mid-day, nor do I scream at the top of my lungs at
midnight. However, it *is* an outdoor event far from neighborhoods and I
don't camp in areas marked "quiet". And, frankly, if one goes to Pennsic
for quiet sinecure, I suggest checking with Webster's for the definition of
"war". As for the rules, I am among those who think that the war has become
incredibly over-regulated the past couple years but I appreciate your
reference so I can be sure of this year's rules. My point was that there
are parents who make demands (beyond the basic rules of Pennsic and
courtesy) upon the adults near them and their children that make the war
less fun for those who come sans kids and that parents need to have
realistic expectations of what kind of schedule they'll be able to maintain
for their kids, and as to what things their children will be exposed. It's
not other adult wargoers' responsibility to be quiet so your children can
sleep at an event aimed at adults, nor to accommodate their schedule. If
that's a view to be flamed, then so be it. I am young and want to have fun.
When I have kids, I will make sure that their fun and well-being don't
impinge on others' fun. Thank you for your viewpoint.

Kilmeny