RE: babies at Pennsic

Poster: Betty Eyer <betty_eyer@yahoo.com>

I am amused by your statement that, in the future, you won't let your
child's well being impinge on someone else's fun.  I think someone who
knows you should print off that email, save it until you do have kids
and then read it back to you. Young or old has got nothing to do with
it; we all want to have fun. The problem is that we all define "fun"
differently.  Personally, I don't understand why standing in the middle
of the street at 2am and screaming is fun, but some folks do it, and
that is why I have my ear plugs.

I have no idea what sort of reaction you may have gotten from parents
of children at Pennsic.  There is a big difference between asking
someone to observe the quiet rules and yelling at them. If the parents
in question came over and yelled at you at 1 in the afternoon, then
they were rude.  However, you did mention "loud, late parties" in your
original post, so I had to assume that you meant what you said; that
you thought it was an infringement of your rights to have to end a
party so that children could sleep. If that is not what you meant, I am
sorry for the confusion.  If that IS what you meant, I don't understand
your indignation.

Your right to have fun at Pennsic or anywhere depends upon whether or
not it interferes with other's rights, and this line is fuzzy, although
laws and rules try to define it.  However fuzzy, those laws and rules
are necessary.  One of the problems with an encampment of 10,000 people
is that it is very much like a town - if it doesn't draw the line on
some key civic issues then there is going to be trouble. Pennsic has
been the site of real crime to an increasing extent, and to ignore that
problem is not only to endanger those attending, but also to risk that
we will not be able to hold future Pennsics as it has been held in the
past.

Magdalena
--- Dominica Harlan <DHarlan@RodgersBuilders.com> wrote:

> Poster: Dominica Harlan
> <DHarlan@RodgersBuilders.com>
>
> Lady Magdalena,
>
> I follow both the Pennsic rules and the rules of
> common courtesy when it
> comes to nights and noise, or days and noise for
> that matter I am
> young and want to have fun.
MAJOR SNIPPAGE
> When I have kids, I will make sure that their fun
> and well-being don't
> impinge on others' fun. Thank you for your
> viewpoint.
>
> Kilmeny

> http://merryrose.atlantia.sca.org/
>             Submissions:  atlantia@atlantia.sca.org
>         Admin. requests:  majordomo@atlantia.sca.org

===
Magdalena de Hazebrouck
Purpure, a fess fesule argent between three torches or.