The answers beg a question...

>     Greetings and many thanks to all the gentles who responded to my
>     posting regarding the Library of Congress.
[...]
>     I was curious about how to get access to a telnet site...mainly, what
>     am I asking for?

I think "telnet locis.loc.gov" will get you in.  That's what I vaguely
remember from the one time I went there.

LOCIS is the LoC Information System; the instructions on telnetting in
were next to the LOCIS terminals in the library.  Or you could
probably call their info desk.

|John (Francis) Stracke | My opinions are my own. | "He wondered if Elli     |
|InSoft, Inc.           |=========================/  was going to buy that   |
|Mechanicsburg, PA      |  explanation.  His taste for heavily-armed girl-   |
|francis@insoft.com     |  friends did have its drawbacks."                  |