Re[2]: If not to Guild . . .

Greetings to all at the Merry Rose.

Dafydd examined several collectives to assess whether a guild structure was a
reasonable approach...or whether something else was more appropriate. I applaud
him for the effort. He brought up two things which I would like to address:

1. To the jugglers, Dafydd identified:
 >Associated Needs: get involved with events that have an
 >appropriate focus (a "Faire" atmosphere would be ideal)..

and suggested a newsletter or phone tree to
>muster support for "Faire" events where there would be lots of
>environment for juggling, tumbling, etc.

To this end I would like to invite all those of that mind to attend Roxbury
Mill's Spring Carnival, April 22. I shall be releasing a flyer on it within the
week...excuse me, before the ACORN deadline. But I would like to extend a
preliminary invitation right now to the jugglers. I'll be autocrat and I want a
*REAL* carnival.

2. In his analysis of armourers, Dafydd didn't think a guild was necessary for
the advancement of the craft. Based upon my observations, I believe a guild
structure HAS evolved in certain places. Most instances are where the armourers
are selling what they produce.

I believe he is right with regard to forming a large guild--say Atlantia-wide.
But for small local groups, it can and does work. A Master is someone with the
tools, who can and will instruct others. A Journeyman is someone trusted enough
to produce individual pieces, e.g., cobs and lames. A Novice is just
that--fresh, new, and prepared to work hard.

In addition, every piece is critically assessed--often under severe conditions.
A piece of armor that comes from a given guild (or shop) will be remembered for
its workmanship and worth--whether good or bad.

With regard to the armourers, it isn't a question of whether or not they're
needed. Quite frankly, they already exist--and they may well be the best working
example of a true guild in the SCA. The working examples are all small and
localized. Actually, they rather resemble his analysis of the shoemakers.

Just some observations,
Tadhg