Re: Interbaronial Wars

On Wed, 15 Feb 1995, Cindy Hudson wrote:

> 1.  I am not aware of any problems that interbaronial wars have ever
> created. Certainly there were none during the time my lord and I were
> baron/baroness of Nottinghill Coill.

(*** WARNING : possible inflamatory material follows ***)

This is not exactly recent history, but I can remember a time 10 years
ago when an Interbaronial war threatened to split the kingdom.  The
events were Sheep Wars I/II (AKA Assesment Battles II/III).  A quote from
ABII that I can remember is that it "was a chance for the rest of the
kingdom to gang up on Storvik...and lose."  There were tensions to the
point that some members of my local group (WM Hill) were refusing to go
further north than Richmond for ANY reason.  At ABIII, Storvik was
outnumbered around 2.5:1, about 6:1 in chivarly, so the outcome should be
pretty obvious. At court that evening, the official hatchet was buried.

I can't speak for any other baronies, I can only report the feeling
within Windmaster's Hill at the time.  This one Interbarional war
permanently colored my feelings toward the northern groups - probably
because I was fairly new at the time and was introduced to Storvik as
"the enemy."  It has taken years for me and many others to view the
northern groups as the good guys and part of "us".

Believe me, IBW's do create bad feelings toward groups.  We are never
well served by divisions unless we want to be divided.  I could spout
a bunch of nonsense right now about "a house divided," or "strength
in numbers" (errr...guess I just did) to show that point, but some people
don't agree about that.

I guess it comes down to that - if you agree that having people not like
others just because of where they are from is OK, then IBWs are fine.  I
don't.

Uther