A question on honor

This is a scenerio that played its self outlast week and left a friend rather
disturbed as to the proper course of action.  So any advice would be welcome.

People (not real names) Jon, Tom,and Sarah

Jon, Tom, and Sarah are shopping at a  Star Trek Convention(but this could
easily be SCAdia) Tom and Sarah are friends, Jon is Sarah's guest,but Tom and
Jon kinda know each other from a few years back.

Jon borrows money from Tom to pay for an item.
Tom finds that he needs the money and Sarah offers to take on Jon's debt to
Tom so that Tom can get the money he needs.
Tom is unsure about the arrangemant and offers to pay off Jon's debt if Jon
proves unable or unwilling to pay back the debt.
Sarah states that since she knows Jon far better than Tom does, and that will
not be necissary. Sarah also states that that Tom should not worry about it
and that such a promise will not be necessary.

Two weeks later Sarah approaches Tom and asks for her money back since Jon has
not payed her(and she has not asked Jon for the money).
Tom protests that that was not the arrangemant and that she had unconitionally
assumed the debt.
Sarah states that Tom had essentialy borrowed money from her and now is bound
to pay her back.
When Tom states that that wasn't the agreement, and irregardless he will be
unable to pay her back for at least two weeks, Sarah says that Tom has proven
that he has no honor.

The question is:
Has Tom acted dishonorably?
Why or why not?

I was unable to answer this question but I tend to think that Tom was within
his rights.

This will go to answer some other questions I have about honor in the context
of contracts and agreemants?

in gratitude
Xavier