RE: may acorn, g&pd 6

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world were we not to worry about other people's
perceptions. What an ideal existence. Unfortunately, we *do* live in a society
where perception is important. I am not saying it is right, only that
it is. The
guidelines printed elsewhere about behavior at demo's are only that,
Guidelines. We can sit back all day long and take the attitude that "We will be
the way we want and do what we want and Say what we want." However,
this will neither endear us to the public we depend so heavily upon, nor
will it bring in the newcomers that are the life blood of this organization.

I do not believe the policies on Religion are intended to tell you what to
believe or how to act. They only tell us what the SCA will support and not
support.

I do not like some of the suggestions any more than Melys does, especially
the stricture against black cloaks. But I understand how the misinterpretation
could hurt the efforts of the Demo and will refrain from wearing it. Is
it fair that
we should be forced to put on a different face for different people and
situations? No. But then what is the old adage about life and fairness?

It is the right of any person in the USA to refuse to submit to such
restrictions.
It is also the right of anyone else to be offended by those actions. At a demo
where we are trying to put forth our best face and encourage others to join us
in our fun, there are no places for these types of attitudes. Just because you
have the right to do it, does not mean it *is* right to do it.

Just my humble opinions
Micheal Ryan