personal rights vs. group needs

You are correct, Lady melys, that it is unfortunate that there are those who
are unable to look at different lifestyles/belief systems with acceptance and
an open mind.  But that is the reality of the world in which we live.

And you are correct that you have a right to behave/dress however you like.
That right exists, however, until your exercising that right begins to impact
negatively on those with whom you associate.

(I'm not sure who said it, but I think the operative phrase here is: Your
right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.)

When we agree to participate in a society we inherently agree to give up, in
differing quantities, our rights as individuals,  in return for the benefits
that the society brings such as fellowship, companionship, and
interdependence.

IMHO, agreeing to curb some behaviors that "may" reflect negatively on the
SCA and to do my best to put the Society in the best possible light while
people are first getting to know us is a small price to pay for the richness
and depth that members of the SCA have given to my life.

Lady Aislynn
Ponte Alto